HUDDERSFIELD BIRDWATCHERS' CLUB

Registered charity no.1098296
Welcome to the Huddersfield Birdwatchers' CubGo to our forum
Normal Topic WOODPIGEON X 15000. (Read 995 times)
RegS

WOODPIGEON X 15000.
11/27/16 at 16:04:56
Post Tools
Every seven years or so we get a bumper crop of Acorns, this is food to Woodpigeon who at this time of year flock to our area and spend days and weeks feeding on them.  Right now and for the last 8 days woodpigeon have been  seen flighting up Woodsome valley after leaving there roosts in the woods around Woodsome golf course, the Molika woods and Storthes Hall.  There maybe more roosts further afield.
                                 The flight can be observed from the old POW camp just 3 fields south of Castle Hill. It is the actual crown of Woodsome Valley.  Woodpigeon start to be seen about 7-15 am flying from east to west  and the flight lasts about three quarters of an hour. The flock has built up to an estimated 10 to 15000 birds. I post a couple of pics to give an idea but I have videoed the event for a better understanding.   Believe me it is quite a site.

Woodpigeon.jpg ( 143 KB | Downloads )
Woodpigeon.jpg

IP Logged

RegS

Re: WOODPIGEON X 15000.
Reply #1 - 11/27/16 at 16:10:04
Post Tools
Looking from the observation site towards Castle Hill wind direction and speed determines exact flight line but varies only a few hundred yards..  The Woodpigeon return about  2pm onwards in small flocks.

Woodpigeon-2.jpg ( 145 KB | Downloads )
Woodpigeon-2.jpg

IP Logged