HUDDERSFIELD BIRDWATCHERS' CLUB

Registered charity no.1098296
Welcome to the Huddersfield Birdwatchers' CubGo to our forum
Normal Topic Road closure (Read 2743 times)
DavidButt

Don't forget to send in
your records regularly

Road closure
04/25/11 at 08:48:54
Post Tools
Just in case anyone who might be affected missed it the section of Annat Royd Lane that runs alongside the headwater wall at Ingbirchworth Res will be closed from May 3rd for 20 weeks. Don't know whether this will restrict foot travel or not...

David Butterfield

IP Logged

Alf

Are you sure?

Re: Road closure
Reply #1 - 05/03/11 at 11:15:48
Post Tools
Extensive work was underway this morning. I checked with the staff on site and they said that pedestrian access will be maintained across the dam throughout this period.

Good news for the dog walkers then!

Alf

Alf
Forum Administrator

Grip, don't dip.

IP Logged

Mick Cunningham

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 05/07/11 at 18:51:41
Post Tools
dog walkers? if only. Today a couple pulled up in a car, lifted their dog over the wall and drove along slowly whilst the dog proceeded unleashed along the footpath.  when I pointed out politely this was wrong I was told no-one else was worried/others do it and as no-one from York water enforced it, it couldn't be that big a deal. I have been counselled against being critical of Yorks water, especially in public, but I think it very naieve (?) of them (and us to be fair) if we think signs saying dogs must be on leads will make  a scrap of difference. the mud edges are ripe for waders in a year that has seen an unprecedented movement of waders overland - and we get 1 whimbrel. Pathetic. Unless we can persuade york water to close one side (not that dog walkers would obey) or fence off the edge (too costly), this res is ruined for wildlife. sacrificed to some ill-informed notion of open access. when people walked their dogs near home it might not have mattered but any wise planning now has to acknowledge that people are mobile, get in their cars and drive their dogs for a walk 'in the country' - ignorant of how lifeless the country now is.

IP Logged

Alf

Are you sure?

Reply #3 - 05/08/11 at 10:44:01
Post Tools
I share your frustration Mick but I also believe that YW will be deaf to such arguments. Their viewpoint is that they are primarily responsible for providing water and receiving waste with their environmental and social responsibilities, whilst treated seriously, being secondary considerations. Further, they claim that they must have an awareness of all of their customers (their word) of which bird watchers are in a minority.

I am not being an apologist for YW and nor do I agree with all of their statements and actions, but these will be typical of the responses that we would come up against.

More broadly, why are some dog owners becoming even more irresponsible nowadays, or is that simply my biased perspective?

Alf
Forum Administrator

Grip, don't dip.

IP Logged

Mick Cunningham

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 05/10/11 at 17:10:41
Post Tools
hear what you say Alf (that was their stance 30 yrs ago when I had dealings with them). but, if so, not sure where the clamour was from customers to open the resers totally. not sure some dog walkers haven't always been irresponsible. they just didn't used to drive out to the countryside to do it.

IP Logged