HUDDERSFIELD BIRDWATCHERS' CLUB

Registered charity no.1098296
Welcome to the Huddersfield Birdwatchers' CubGo to our forum
Normal Topic Shelley Whins & Bridle Butterfly Walk - Sat 01/08. (Read 2677 times)
ShelleyNaturalist
Ex Member

Shelley Whins & Bridle Butterfly Walk - Sat 01/08.
03/10/09 at 13:11:45
Post Tools
The ‘Whins’ & ‘Bridle’ Butterfly Walk – Sat 1st August 2009 10:30  

As in previous years, I will be leading a Butterfly walk on the Whins and Bridle on the above date. Let’s hope for some warmth and sunshine this year!

There are no facilities on either site but private facilities will be available on the day. Please note that both sites contain some steep inclines and people with limited walking abilities may not be able to
negotiate the sites safely.

Suitable clothing, sun protection, binoculars, a drink and a packed lunch are advisable.

Meet the leader at the entrance to the Whins on Far Bank, by the new Public Footpath sign, which leads to Shelley Infant School, SE 202 111.

The two sites are managed by Shelley Conservation Group and 22 species of butterfly have been
recorded on the Whins since 1997. We will be searching for a selection of butterflies and day-flying moths including Purple Hairstreak at this time of year. Site management and other wildlife on the two sites will
also be discussed.

Weather permitting there will also be an opportunity to visit a nearby wildlife garden and view the contents of a Moth Trap.

The morning session should last approximately 2 hours. Following a lunch break, there is the option of walking to the former Meadowlands Trust meadows at Thunderbridge, now owned by the HSBC. There should be a good selection of butterflies, moths and dragonflies on the wing here including White-letter Hairstreak.

Members of Yorkshire Butterfly Conservation have also been invited to the event and weather permitting good opportunities to learn, identify and photograph butterflies and day-flying moths will be available.

Steve Graham
Wildlife Advisor
Shelley Conservation Group

IP Logged

Alf

Are you sure?

Re: Shelley Whins & Bridle Butterfly Walk - Sat 01
Reply #1 - 03/10/09 at 14:59:33
Post Tools
This sounds great Steve and I hope you have a good turn out. I trust that you know this is also Emley Show day?

Unfortunately I won't be able to attend due to other commitments - my loss, no doubt.

Alf

Alf
Forum Administrator

Grip, don't dip.

IP Logged

ShelleyNaturalist
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/10/09 at 19:46:23
Post Tools
Thanks Alf

I wasn't aware it was Emley Show day but due to work commitments and getting a suitable date for both Hairstreaks was rather limiting!

Cheers,
Steve

IP Logged

ShelleyNaturalist
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/22/09 at 04:30:56
Post Tools
Just a gentle reminder, the Shelley Butterfly Walk takes place on Saturday 1st August at 10:30. See earlier post for full details.

Despite two awful summers, most species seem to be surviving quite well locally. The anticipated Painted Lady explosion is becoming apparent. With offspring from the earlier influx now emerging and some immigration also occuring to boost numbers even more. By August they should be turning up on every Buddleia in the area!

Hairstreaks, as ever, have been elusive as ever and so far I am yet to observe a Purple in the often breezy and wet conditions this year. With much of the aphid honeydew being washed off the tops of the trees, there is an increasing chance of Purple Hairstreaks having to come down to the ground to nectar.

Cheers,
Steve

IP Logged