HUDDERSFIELD BIRDWATCHERS' CLUB

Registered charity no.1098296
Welcome to the Huddersfield Birdwatchers' CubGo to our forum
Normal Topic A Gull question (Read 2297 times)
philmcgenity

I Love YaBB 2!

A Gull question
08/30/16 at 19:36:53
Post Tools
I’m aware that many contributors to this forum know far more than me about gull identification, so …

I took the photo below today at my workplace, near Batley.  I have seen Lesser Black Backed Gulls on many past occasions at this site, and so assumed this was another one – my sense was that the bird was roughly Herring Gull sized, which supported my assumption.

However, no matter how hard I looked, the legs did not look yellow.  I even asked a passing colleague (non-birder) to look through the ‘scope and tell me the colour of the bird’s legs – “pale pink” was the answer.  The photo tends to chime with this.  So I started to wonder if this is a Great Black Back – Collins suggests that adult GBBs can vary from 61 – 74 cm, with Herring Gulls from 54 – 60cm (i.e. a GBB at the smaller end of the size range might look similar in size to a Herring Gull).

I have seen photos which seem to suggest that younger LBBs don’t have the yellow legs.  This bird seems to have adult plumage, but I guess the legs may not reach their full colour at the same rate as the plumage.

So, am I looking at an LBB with legs not showing the full adult yellow colour, or am I looking at a GBB that might be towards the lower end of the size range for the species ? (or have I missed another option ?)

I’d value any thoughts.

Gull_Aug_2016.jpg ( 61 KB | Downloads )
Gull_Aug_2016.jpg

IP Logged

stevec

Re: A Gull question
Reply #1 - 08/31/16 at 22:09:11
Post Tools
I Know nothing about gulls but my guess is Herring.

IP Logged

DavidPennington

Reply #2 - 09/01/16 at 09:21:53
Post Tools
Mine is sub-adult Lesser Black-back.

IP Logged

Mick Cunningham

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 09/03/16 at 22:16:37
Post Tools
agree David LBB

Phil

you said

"I have seen photos which seem to suggest that younger LBBs don’t have the yellow legs.  This bird seems to have adult plumage, but I guess the legs may not reach their full colour at the same rate as the plumage."

You're spot on that bare parts can sometimes seem at odds with the age of the bird and birds that are not quite/or are younger adults can have duller bare parts eg more pinky looking legs instead of yellow

Although it might look adult because of full-looking dark mantle my guess is it's not. Mantles progress to full adult type earlier than wings. Not obvious at rest, but is when wings open and you can see brown in the wings. Often have smaller/no white prim tips too

wish I had gulls to watch when I was working!

IP Logged