HUDDERSFIELD BIRDWATCHERS' CLUB

Registered charity no.1098296
Welcome to the Huddersfield Birdwatchers' CubGo to our forum
Normal Topic Swan Puzzle (Read 2096 times)
philmcgenity

I Love YaBB 2!

Swan Puzzle
12/21/13 at 22:14:03
Post Tools
Well out of the area today, I was over on the Wirral at a hotel.  In the grounds, I came across a pond, perhaps a few tens of metres long and maybe 20 metres across.  I was surprised to see what looked like 2 wild swans, together with a few dozen mallard and a couple of Moorhens.  Although the place is probably only a couple of miles, as the swan flies, from Burton Marsh, I was still surprised that there could be wild swans in such a small area of water.  I managed to get a few poor quality pics (only iPad to hand, unfortunately) and have attached one of these.  I'd value thoughts as to whether these really could be wild swans and, if so, Bewicks or Whoopers (I'm not skilled enough to tell bills apart).

swanpic_2013.jpg ( 75 KB | Downloads )
swanpic_2013.jpg

IP Logged

DavidPennington

Re: Swan Puzzle
Reply #1 - 12/22/13 at 16:21:25
Post Tools
Phil, they both look like Whoopers to me, notwithstanding the apparently intermediate bill pattern of the one on the left.

I think there are a few feral Whoopers around the country. Hard to say whether these are wild or feral without local knowledge.

IP Logged

philmcgenity

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Swan Puzzle
Reply #2 - 12/22/13 at 20:42:16
Post Tools
Many thanks for your response, David.  I have run various web searches and have not found anything on feral Whoppers on the Wirral - I will endeavour to find out more from birders in that part of the world. 

IP Logged