HUDDERSFIELD BIRDWATCHERS' CLUB

Registered charity no.1098296
Welcome to the Huddersfield Birdwatchers' CubGo to our forum
Normal Topic Finding nightjars (Read 4326 times)
Alf

Are you sure?

Finding nightjars
08/29/13 at 15:49:56
Post Tools

Don't worry, it's only a game but also contributing to some university research.

See: http://nightjar.exeter.ac.uk/where-is-that-nightjar/

Alf
Forum Administrator

Grip, don't dip.

IP Logged

Mick Cunningham

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Finding nightjars
Reply #1 - 08/30/13 at 21:57:28
Post Tools
a nice bit of fun - I did well but not made the top 10 apparently. But then I did find a real one in Hudds area this year at a brand new site Wink. I really think these are under-recorded in HBW - just need a bit of wandering about on't moors and edges in the dark: can be spooky but rewarding

IP Logged

Alf

Are you sure?

Reply #2 - 08/31/13 at 10:40:18
Post Tools
There has been at least one other find in the area this year Mick. Not many folk wander the hills in the dark though, as you say.

I also failed to make the top 10, but that may be less surprising.

Alf
Forum Administrator

Grip, don't dip.

IP Logged

Mick Cunningham

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 08/31/13 at 11:55:17
Post Tools
good to hear Alf - I did see others in south of our area - altho these were very def in our area, unlike some of the ones that get reported in the annual reports,  I don't count them as on a new site: rather they have helpfully newly occupied territories this year where a change in habitat has extended traditional nesting areas actually within our area. minimum 3 males.

The one I came upon this year was miles away. This and with a diff bird at a diff site 2 years ago plus 2  elsewhere me and DHP have found in the past confirms my suspicion that enough looking will eke them out - tho' for some reason, these territories seem to last no longer than a season, maybe 2: perhaps these are 'vanguard' birds searching out new areas. No less welcome for that tho. The new site also turned up LEOs when DHP/NWM went to check in my absence which was good because I only found one def LEO pair this year with juvs, which disappeared - whether weather-related or something else I don't know. One day, I'll get round to doing an article in annual report about the joys of dusk/night-time birding in HBW - woodcocks, njars LEOs - love 'em.  Failed to get up for vis mig today - will post sightings so far later.

IP Logged

Alf

Are you sure?

Reply #4 - 08/31/13 at 16:29:16
Post Tools
I reckon such an article would be great Mick, and sooner rather than later. It would be especially interesting in the light of the nightjar woodcock survey that Mike Denton co-ordinated this year.

There does seem to have been a fair bit of new habitat created recently that looks to offer potential, so a concerted effort next year might be a possibility. One for Russ Smithson to look at maybe?
« Last Edit: 09/01/13 at 10:46:20 by Alf »  

Alf
Forum Administrator

Grip, don't dip.

IP Logged

Mick Cunningham

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 08/31/13 at 17:45:49
Post Tools
what nightjar survey was that Alf?

it's funny about habitat - some that looks perfect to the human eye I have tried year in and out - with no result! probably some ecological reason beyond my ken.

IP Logged

Alf

Are you sure?

Reply #6 - 08/31/13 at 19:09:35
Post Tools
Slippery fingers!!

That should have read Woodcock survey.

Alf
Forum Administrator

Grip, don't dip.

IP Logged

Mick Cunningham

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 08/31/13 at 20:56:00
Post Tools
ah I see. Another probably under recorded species I'll bet. I found a woodcock feather in Marsden this year - Mike Pinder who's red hot on the birds of Marsden parish told me it was only the 2nd record for the Parish!
just in from Gunthwaite dam - no crakes - 6 teal and a kingfisher is all.

IP Logged