HUDDERSFIELD BIRDWATCHERS' CLUB

Registered charity no.1098296
Welcome to the Huddersfield Birdwatchers' CubGo to our forum
Normal Topic Winter divers and Guillemots (Read 3837 times)
philmcgenity

I Love YaBB 2!

Winter divers and Guillemots
12/30/12 at 20:09:57
Post Tools
Apologies if this is rather obvious to some ....

I am staying at Staithes, on the coast north of Whitby, and I am frequently seeing black and white birds on the sea in my telescope.  I suspect that most are Guillemots in winter plumage. However, I am aware that diver species (especially black- and red-throated) are seen quite often in this area. In summer, it seems that the plumage of Guillemots and divers is so different that it would be difficult to confuse them.  However, in winter, there do seem to be some superficial similarities.

I'd be grateful for any tips on how to distinguish between these species in their winter plumage.

Many Thanks.

IP Logged

David Tattersley

Re: Winter divers and Guillemots
Reply #1 - 12/30/12 at 22:11:57
Post Tools
Hi Phil, no doubt a number of Hudds Birders are thinking 'I Wish I was There' rather than here with not much to look at!
Anyhow good on you, first of all you are more than likely, based on your location and time of year either looking at Red-throated Diver or Common Guillemot.
Size and shape of the bird is the first thing to look at, although looking through a scope at a distant bird can be tricky whatever a birders experience. Bearing in mind local birds that you might be more familiar with, are the birds you are seeing similar in 'body' shape on the water to say a Cormorant for example? If they are then you are likely to be looking at a Red-throated Diver.
A Guillemot is a much smaller, dumpier looking bird more akin to a duck ie much less elegant with a shorter, thicker neck.
A Guillemot should also show more white on the body of the bird whilst it is resting on the sea and in addition should show a greater contrast between it's black and white plumage, whereas a Red-throated Diver would appear to have little white on it's body and would probably look greyer overall apart from extensive white on the neck.
If you want a bit more info send me an email and I will send you a few pics of winter birds I have taken in the last 5 years or so, failing that get yourself down to Filey Brigg some 30 miles down the coast and there are bound to be some birders around to give you even better id!

IP Logged

philmcgenity

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 12/30/12 at 23:05:43
Post Tools
Many thanks David.  I mentioned both BT and RT diver only because the Teesmouth bird sightings website mentions both in recent times.  However, as your note implies, RT seem to be sighted more commonly.

The general "build" of the bird is a very helpful lead for me.  It makes me think I have probably seen both Guillemots (more dumpy, duck-like birds) and, less commonly, RT Divers, since I've noted birds with a slimmer, more Cormorant-like appearance.

I will take a closer look tomorrow, not least utilising your hints concerning the plumage.

Many thanks once again.

IP Logged

philmcgenity

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 12/31/12 at 20:43:26
Post Tools
Good day today - I spotted several Guillemots and one RT diver - very clear based upon your hints on body shape and plumage.

Many thanks David, and a very Happy New Year to you and to all of the contributors to this forum.

IP Logged

David Tattersley

Reply #4 - 12/31/12 at 22:04:34
Post Tools
Excellent news Phil and all the best to you too in 2013.

After I replied to your recent post I noticed that you had previously posted an id question regarding a bird in southern France that was troubling you, I realise that no one on the forum responded, however did you manage to solve it or is it one of those that remains unidentified at the moment?

IP Logged

philmcgenity

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 01/03/13 at 13:13:35
Post Tools
Many thanks for your further note David.

The "mystery bird" in France remains a mystery.  I realised that I was "pushing my luck" in asking for help with this one.  The problem was that the little beggars were very furtive, so I struggled to see them clearly, and hence could not give a very good derscription - I appreciate that, with the rather vague description I was able to give, the chances of there being enough for an identification were rather small.

I did recently find a very poor photo (attached - taken with my iPad, through a window) which might shed a tiny bit more light on this.

If you, or any other forum contributor, can come up with any ideas on this, I'd be very grateful.

france_bird.png ( 63 KB | Downloads )
france_bird.png

IP Logged

David Tattersley

Reply #6 - 01/04/13 at 17:32:34
Post Tools
Hi Phil, I have sent you a PM as I don't have your email address.
You can access this message if you log on and hopefully in the top left of your screen you will see that you have 1 message!

IP Logged