HUDDERSFIELD BIRDWATCHERS' CLUB

Registered charity no.1098296
Welcome to the Huddersfield Birdwatchers' CubGo to our forum
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Christmas Cryptic Bird Quiz 2012 (Read 11693 times)
David Tattersley

Christmas Cryptic Bird Quiz 2012
12/04/12 at 21:02:59
Post Tools
If anyone is interested or even if no-one is interested I think I will still get my brain in gear and post one over the weekend.

IP Logged

David Tattersley

Re: Christmas Cryptic Bird Quiz 2012
Reply #1 - 12/08/12 at 15:16:36
Post Tools
The last quiz was in 2010 so perhaps it is time for someone to attempt to depose DHP from his lofty perch as the reigning ‘HBW Quiz Champion’? Grin

All the answers to the questions are ‘names’ of birds of the Western Palearctic and would any forum members wishing to have a go please send their answers to my email address which is accessible via the members link, rather than posting their answers on the forum, as it would spoil it for anyone that might wish to have a go at a later date.
I will reveal all the answers, (hopefully without any controversy this time!) sometime on Christmas Eve.

Good luck to anyone who wishes to take part.

1. A clergyman might appear to have one
2. An ancient whist-like card game
3. Muttiah Muralithran perhaps?
4. Sardonic collum
5. Agricultural ticket price
6. Herman’s yeast infection
7. Irate copper
8. Stuffed mater
9. An amusing legume
10. Long before this ‘Fatboy’ met Zoe he was one in Hull
11. Dracula adorned with ostentatious jewellery
12. Yankee caped-crusader’s sidekick
13. Handy for your choppers maybe?
14. Decorator’s tool
15. Carefree adventure encounters obstacle
16. Insignificant period of activity
17. Decorations out in the sticks
18. Batchelor boys gulp
19. Would that be Corporal Jones at the door?
20. Sportsman stooping at the Stoop

IP Logged

Alf

Are you sure?

Reply #2 - 12/10/12 at 16:29:55
Post Tools
Good lad David!

BTW I did post a quiz last year.  Wink

I'm reading this in Kathmandu at present (Ibisbill and four species of Forktail nailed) but will make my considered attempt on my return.

Alf
Forum Administrator

Grip, don't dip.

IP Logged

David Tattersley

Reply #3 - 12/10/12 at 17:52:32
Post Tools
Anywhere away from the UK at this time of the year would do me but Kathmandu, wow, that sounds fantastic.

Apologies for the fact that I mistakenly stated that no-one had set a quiz last year, having found yours under 'Bird Chat' (there is no obvious category for a quiz is there?) I might have posted a slightly different one, however not to worry  Sad
Looking forward to a better response from members than you obviously had!  Cheesy

IP Logged

Alf

Are you sure?

Reply #4 - 12/12/12 at 16:05:44
Post Tools
Nepal was good but Kathmandu is a much-hole and the worst driving that I have encountered anywhere in the world. I also suffered for my pleasures in ways that you wouldn't want describing.  Huh

I assume that any entries for the quiz should be sent to you by PM in order to retain the feeling of excitement amongst the throng?

Alf
Forum Administrator

Grip, don't dip.

IP Logged

David Tattersley

Reply #5 - 12/12/12 at 21:23:32
Post Tools
Sorry to hear that Alf, that will or more than likely won't teach you not to go off-roading in the future. I sincerely hope that your innards are in full working order come the festive season Grin
I don't mind how you message me, PM, email, Christmas card whatever medium you fancy!

IP Logged

David Tattersley

Reply #6 - 12/23/12 at 20:19:35
Post Tools
Breaking News: 2 entries received thus far, deadline extended until 17:00 hrs tomorrow, come on have a go!

IP Logged

Alf

Are you sure?

Reply #7 - 12/24/12 at 11:52:08
Post Tools
I will David, I will. But it is a bit fiendish you know!

Alf
Forum Administrator

Grip, don't dip.

IP Logged

David Tattersley

Reply #8 - 12/24/12 at 18:16:41
Post Tools
Still waiting for Alf's entry! Which time zone are you on Alf?

IP Logged

David Tattersley

Reply #9 - 12/24/12 at 20:18:13
Post Tools
Can't wait any longer for the third entry as I have to deal with the Brussels therefore congratulations are once again in order to Dave Pennington for the entry submitted with the most correct answers.

My pristine copy of 'Birds of Huddersfield 1983' will be handed over to you sometime next year when we hopefully bump into each other whilst observing a first for the HBW Area.

Christmas Quiz Questions and Answers

Apologies for any ambiguities in the questions set, I realise now having tested close members of my family out that my line of reasoning or thinking may differ to that of others and that there are certainly one or two questions where another answer might equally apply but here are the correct answers as far I as I am concerned however obscure they might seem!

1.  Q. A clergyman might appear to have one
      A. Whitethroat (Common)

The widely used modern detachable white clerical collar sometimes referred to as a ‘dog collar’ gives the impression of the wearer having a white throat, particularly from a distance and especially if you suffer from myopia. It was invented by Rev Dr Donald Mcleod a Presbyterian Minister in Glasgow in the 19th century.

2.  Q. An ancient whist-like card game
      A. Ruff

Whist is a classic English trick-taking card game which was played widely in the 18th and 19th centuries. Whist derives from the 16th century game of Trump (from Italian trionfa) or Ruff (from French roffle).

3.  Q. Muttiah Muralithran perhaps?
      A. Chuckar

Chucker or castigated hero? Everyone has their opinion but nobody has done more to change the laws of cricket than Sri Lankan Muttiah Muralitharan. His record as the greatest Test wicket-taker in history will forever be tarnished by the endless debate about the legality of his bowling action, hence the term ‘chucker’.
Murali's unique action was reliant upon an elbow deformity at birth that prevented him from straightening it fully as well as a highly supple wrist. During the course of his career it provided one of the most passionate cricket debates in history.

4.  Q. Sardonic collum
      A. Wryneck

Sardonic is an adjective characterised by irony, mockery or derision, hence the ‘wry’ part of the answer and for all you Latin scholars out there collum generally refers to the part of the body between the head and the shoulders which in most folk means the neck.

5.  Q. Agricultural ticket price
      A. Fieldfare

Field refers to the agricultural part of the question and fare is the sum charged or paid by a passenger or customer.

6.  Q. Herman’s yeast infection
      A. Hermit Thrush

Herman's Hermits are an English beat band, formed in Manchester in 1963 as Herman & The Hermits. The group's record producer, Mickie Most, emphasized a simple, non-threatening, clean-cut image. Their most popular hits were No Milk Today, There’s a Kind of Hush and I’m into Something Good.
The second part of the question I feel needs to handled more delicately. Thrush is a yeast infection, usually caused by a yeast-like fungus called Candida albicans, lovely!

7.  Q. Irate copper
      A. Crossbill

Irate means angry or cross.
The term ‘copper’ was first found in print in 1846 as slang for policeman, according to the Oxford English Dictionary. The most likely explanation is that it comes from the verb "to cop" meaning to seize, capture, or snatch, dating from just over a century earlier (1704).
The Metropolitan Police are often referred to as ‘The Old Bill’ or ‘Bill’, however no one seems too sure why or where that term originated.

8.  Q. Stuffed mater
      A.  Fulmar

Stuffed might imply that one is full after a large meal.
Mater is Latin for mother and in USA in particularly the shortened version of mar is often used as a substitute.

9.  Q. An amusing legume
       A.  Northern Lapwing

An amusing person is often referred to as a ‘wit’
A legume is a term used in botony to mean a pod, such as that as a pea or bean that divides into two valves with the seeds attached to one edge of the valves.
Which leads us on to pea and wit eventually and ‘peewit’ or Northern Lapwing!

10. Q. Long before this ‘Fatboy’ met Zoe he was one in Hull
      A.  House Martin    

Norman Quentin Cook is also known by his stage name ‘Fatboy Slim’ He is an English DJ, musician, and record producer. He married Zoe Ball in 1999 but well before at the end of 1985 he became a member of the Indie Rock band called The House Martins who were based in Hull and arguably their most famous hit was ‘The Caravan of Love’

Can't post all 20 answers due to HBW Forum character restrictions so hopefully 11-20 will follow

IP Logged

David Tattersley

Reply #10 - 12/24/12 at 20:20:50
Post Tools
11. Q. Dracula adorned with ostentatious jewellery
      A.  Brambling

Abraham "Bram" Stoker was an Irish novelist and short story writer, best known today for his 1897 Gothic novel Dracula.
The word "bling" refers to any unnecessary accumulation of metal or jewellery, which impresses the simple-minded.

12. Q. Yankee caped-crusader’s sidekick
      A.  American Robin

The term ‘Yankee’ generally refers to something or more usually someone originating from USA
Batman is a fictional character and comic book Superhero created by artist Bob Kane and writer Bill Finger. Batman who is also known as ‘The Caped Crusader’ operated in Gotham City, where he was frequently assisted by his crime-fighting partner named Robin.

13. Q. Handy for your choppers maybe?
       A.  Nightjar

The term ‘choppers’ is slang for teeth, in particular false teeth. Other colloquial terms are dentures, dental plate, falsies & gnashers.

I am told that most people who have the misfortune to wear choppers are likely to remove them before retiring for the evening and place them at the side of the bed in some kind of receptacle, charming!

14 .Q. Decorator’s tool
      A. Roller

I never use one but apparently a Decorator’s Paint Roller is an invaluable tool for the professional and DIY decorator. They are available in a range of sizes and now for a Top Tip (not mine of course):
Always use a roller with a pole, not just for reaching the ceilings but all the walls. It is so much easier on the arm and it gives a nice even pressure. You can paint a whole roomwith very little effort. Try it you'll really notice the difference!

15. Q. Carefree adventure encounters obstacle
      A.  Gadwall

To ‘Gad about’ could well describe a carefree adventure perfectly.
There are many obstacles in life but the one I had in mind was a wall, thereby arriving at my answer, Gadwall

16. Q. Insignificant period of activity
      A.  Little Stint

Insignificant may well be described as having ‘little’ importance.
A stint is often referred to as an allotted or fixed amount of work.

17. Q.  Decorations out in the sticks
      A. Rustic Bunting

‘Out in the sticks’ refers to something or maybe someone situated in the countryside or a rural area.
Bunting or bunt manufactured from the turn of the 17th century was originally a specific type of lightweight worsted fabric generically known as ‘tammy’
Today bunting is a term used for any festive decoration, typical forms of which are strings of colourful triangular flags and lengths of fabric in the colours of national flags gathered and draped into swags or pleated into fan shapes.

18. Q. Bachelor boys gulp
      A. Cliff Swallow   

Apologies for the spelling mistake when setting the question, I think my wife was emptying a can of soup at the time!
Bachelor Boy was written by Bruce Welch and Cliff Richard and was a double ‘A’ side with ‘The Next Time’ the first of three number one singles from the Cliff Richard musical ‘Summer Holiday’
Gulp means to swallow rapidly

19. Q. Would that be Corporal Jones at the door?
      A. Dunnock   

Lance Corporal Jack Jones was a fictional character portrayed by the actor Clive Dunn in the popular long running BBC comedy series entitled ‘Dad’s Army’ He is best remembered for the catchphrases ‘’Don’t panic!’’, ‘’They don’t like it up ‘em!’’, ‘‘Permission to speak sir?’’ and ‘‘You saved my life sir!’’ (usually to Captain Mainwaring)
When the question is asked ‘Who is that at the door?’ it usually involves someone ‘knocking’ on the outside of it.

20. Q. Sportsman stooping at the Stoop
      A. Harlequin Duck

The Twickenham Stoop is a sports stadium located in the western suburbs of London. The stadium is home to the ‘Harlequins’ Rugby Union team, who play in the Aviva Premiership and the London Broncos Rugby League team, who play in the Super League.

IP Logged

David Tattersley

Reply #11 - 12/24/12 at 20:24:20
Post Tools
Don't worry I shan't bore you all with one next year, Merry Christmas Grin

IP Logged

DavidPennington

Reply #12 - 12/24/12 at 21:13:55
Post Tools
Cheers David! I look forward to receiving my prize. Here are my alternative answers to the ones I got wrong.

1.  Q. A clergyman might appear to have one
      A. Whitethroat (Common)

Alternative answer: Ruff. There used to be something called a 'Clergyman's ruff'. I think.

2.  Q. An ancient whist-like card game
      A. Ruff

Alternative answer: Rook. Rook was an old whist-like card game.

9.  Q. An amusing legume
       A.  Northern Lapwing

Alternative answer: Bean Goose. Beans are legumes. 'Goose' has been used in the past as a term of endearment for someone (usually a child) acting amusingly.

13. Q. Handy for your choppers maybe?
       A.  Nightjar

Alternative answer: Nutcracker. The term ‘choppers’ is slang for teeth. Cracking nuts with your teeth can damage them. So, nutcrackers come in handy if you want to save your teeth.

15. Q. Carefree adventure encounters obstacle
      A.  Gadwall

Alternative answer: Bar-tailed Lark. A lark is a carefree adventure. A bar is an obstacle.

19. Q. Would that be Corporal Jones at the door?
      A. Dunnock   

Alternative answer: Dunn's Lark. Lance Corporal Jack Jones was a fictional character portrayed by the actor Clive Dunn in the popular long running BBC comedy series ‘Dad’s Army’. If Corporal Jones knocked at someone's door and ran away before they answered, then maybe it could be deemed 'Dunn's Lark'.

IP Logged

Alf

Are you sure?

Reply #13 - 12/25/12 at 11:26:54
Post Tools

I also had Bean Goose for 9.

Consider also:

15. Desert Lark

19. Steppe Shrike

I put Cuckoo for 2, but it isn't a whist-based game.

The quizmasters decisions are final, however.

Well done David P and thanks to David T for entertaining a few of us in these dull evenings.

Alf
Forum Administrator

Grip, don't dip.

IP Logged