HUDDERSFIELD BIRDWATCHERS' CLUB

Registered charity no.1098296
Welcome to the Huddersfield Birdwatchers' CubGo to our forum
Normal Topic Bretton Park (Read 3966 times)
David Hardacre
Ex Member

Bretton Park
11/16/10 at 17:02:54
Post Tools
Had a troll round this morning and got into conversation with a chap who said that funding had been received to clear most of the Rhododendruns around the upper lake and repair the bridge. They will also open up old "vistas" allowing the lake to be seen from the mansion and the mock roman/greek villa. The downside being that the whole area will be open to public access including the areas currently marked "Conservation Area - No Public Access".
He also said that there were plans to divert all or part of the River Dearne for it to flow through the upper lake thereby creating a better cascade between the upper and lower lakes. This would then be flooflit
I later saw one of the workmen who confirmed the part about the open access but said he knew nothing of the planned diversion of the river.
I just wandered if anyone else has heard anything.
David

IP Logged

ShelleyNaturalist
Ex Member

Re: Bretton Park
Reply #1 - 11/17/10 at 03:57:16
Post Tools
David et al

I have a contact at YSP and will try and find out some more details.

I was aware of the general 'opening up of the site' which although aesthetically pleasing would be very detrimental to wildlife.

The general public access, I believe is to take school parties etc. around rather than a general free for all.

The river diversion is a completely new one on me.

Regards,
Steve

IP Logged

David Hardacre
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/17/10 at 07:47:19
Post Tools
Steve
Many thanks I'll be interested to know learn what you can find out
David

IP Logged

ShelleyNaturalist
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 12/01/10 at 16:41:30
Post Tools
David et al

Please find an approved response from my YSP contact set out below. Not sure it answers all our questions but it does set out were YSP are coming from.

Regards,
Steve

Yorkshire Sculpture Park has received a grant award from Natural England to restore and enhance the grounds surrounding the ornamental lakes and their associated historic features.

We have been working in partnership with Natural England, English Heritage, Yorkshire Wildlife Trust and an organisation commissioned by ourselves named The Landscape Agency.

Wakefield Council acquired Bretton Hall and the nature reserve area when the University of Leeds moved off site with the aim of protecting the Sculpture Park from any adverse development. The Council decided that the nature reserve and other areas of the estate should be managed by YSP for the benefit of all the people in the district.

We began by writing a ten year management plan in response to being put on the "at risk register" by English Heritage. This was the first opportunity we have had to look at the management of the entire 500 acre estate as one.

Proposals from this document led us to consider the long term future of the site including the grounds surrounding the two lakes.

These grounds are to be opened to the benefit of the public for the first time in 2011. We have looked in great detail at all aspects of the site including its history, wildlife and design.

By restoring the historic fabric of this area and opening access we hope to provide an amazing space for visitors of Yorkshire Sculpture Park to enjoy. This area will also be key to further artistic, educational, community and outreach opportunities at the Park.

There are many aspects to the project but I will try to answer some of the specific comments made below. Firstly there will be some rhododendron removal as it is an invasive species and has started to cover the woodland floor. This work will be concentrated around historic features and view lines.

We will be repairing some of the bridges. One particular bridge has been surveyed and closed to all pedestrian traffic already due to its poor state.

Historic vistas based on maps and images will be re opened where appropriate.

The repair of culverts and sluice gates will be carried out to manage the water flow into the lakes from the River Dearne. This will hopefully improve the water quality of the two lakes, reduce the rate of silt build up and provide sufficient water to historic features such as Cascade Bridge. It goes without saying that the River Dearne will not be fully diverted and there will be no flood lighting provided for these features.

We are working very hard with a team of ecological consultants to achieve the objectives of this project with the minimum impact on the grounds and habitats within them.

These grounds will be patrolled by the staff of Yorkshire Sculpture Park and there will be restrictions for dogs.

I hope that I have answered most of your questions sufficiently and thanks for getting in touch. In the meantime please see our web site for updates and images.
http://www.ysp.co.uk/page/landscape-project/es

Regards,

Yorkshire Sculpture Park

IP Logged

David Hardacre
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 12/06/10 at 08:33:03
Post Tools
Steve
Many thanks for your work in getting this respose, let's hope they do manage it correctly and don't turn it into another Ingbirchworth or Scout Dike.
David

IP Logged

ShelleyNaturalist
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 12/27/10 at 23:33:37
Post Tools
Site update 27/12/10:

The Northern footpath along the lower lake has been temporarily closed and there is extensive tree felling along here. The idea is to re-create the open parkland vistas of a bygone age around the lakes and the NR part is going to be opened up to the general public next summer.

Although opening up some of the woodland will be good for insects and then hopefully the birds I am rather sceptical about the amount of timber that is being cut down and the amount already marked up around the site for further felling. By opening up the area to the general public this has to increase the disturbance on the site and will indirectly lead to more banned dogs roaming the area.

What a shame if probably our most important wildlife site in the area is damaged just to get a few more visitors through the gates?

The project has got the go ahead from Natural England and a professional ecologist has drawn up a 10 year management plan for the site, so lets hope they get it right!

I will be writing to YSP again expressing my concerns.

Not impressed,
Steve G.

IP Logged

David Hardacre
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 12/28/10 at 17:03:28
Post Tools
Steve
Many thanks for the up-date I'm sure other members will also be interested and some what saddened as I am.
I always accepted the upper lake as a peaceful and tranquil area but it now sounds very much as if that will be a thing of the past. I can only hope that whatever they do will be of benefit in some way although I have my doubts.
I concur totally with you thoughts about "more visitors through the gates". No doubt someone wil reap additional car parking charges and the ice cream vendors will do well in summer though I doubt the wildlife will gain anything.
Happy New Year to you
David

IP Logged