HUDDERSFIELD BIRDWATCHERS' CLUB

Registered charity no.1098296
Welcome to the Huddersfield Birdwatchers' CubGo to our forum
Normal Topic My adapter (Read 4204 times)
DavidPennington

My adapter
10/31/10 at 11:16:08
Post Tools
Sorry for the delay with this. Not sure how helpful it'll be to be honest because as I said on the other post I no longer use an entirely home made adapter. Anyway, this is where the camera sits - just a bit of old wood glued to some plastic pipe, basically. In the old version, the plastic pipe was then glued to a plastic plumbing connector I found, which happened to fit perfectly over my old eyepiece. I miss it in some ways. There was even a little ridge inside which made it come to a definite stop at exactly the right place, ie I knew I hadn't pushed it on too far or not enough. The reason I had to change it was because I swapped my eyepiece for a supposedly better one. The old one had perfectly straight sides but the new one didn't, so the connector no longer fitted over it.

So, if your eyepiece has straight sides, and it isn't a zoom, there's nothing wrong in principle with a bit of pipe which slips nicely over it, coupled with somewhere for your camera to sit. There's a lot to be said for cheap and quick and easy.

adapter1.jpg ( 203 KB | Downloads )
adapter1.jpg

IP Logged

DavidPennington

Re: My adapter
Reply #1 - 10/31/10 at 11:35:31
Post Tools
Anyway, after I'd swapped my eyepiece I realised I'd have to change my system. Should have thought about that before I swapped it really. I experimented with some other plumbing connectors but none of them fitted properly. Then I remembered I still had my proper Kowa adapter that I used with a camcorder when I first started digiscoping (note: it now seems like a bit of luck that I jumped in at the digiscoping deep end by trying to use a video camera. Still cameras are a doddle compared to that). So, I sawed the plumbing connector off my old adapter, stuck a 52mm stepping ring on it, and screwed it on to the Kowa adapter. It probably takes a second or so longer to put on than the old one did but it's also a bit firmer once it's on there.

adapter2.jpg ( 205 KB | Downloads )
adapter2.jpg

IP Logged

DavidPennington

Reply #2 - 10/31/10 at 11:56:03
Post Tools
The Kowa DA1A is basically just a simple tube on tube adapter. The base tube screws into a thread on the scope body and can be left on permanently, even when you swap eyepieces (though with zoom eyepieces you do need an extra zoom adapter which probably complicates it a bit. I haven't got a zoom eyepiece). The other part just slips over the top of the base tube. It has a tightening screw but the tubes fit so well that it's rarely needed.

adapter3.jpg ( 186 KB | Downloads )
adapter3.jpg

IP Logged

DavidPennington

Reply #3 - 10/31/10 at 12:26:34
Post Tools
As mentioned before, the camera just sits in the wooden bit. It can be made safer with an elastic band but, seeing as it's an angled scope, gravity usually holds it in place. With the kind of digiscoping I do, quick and cheap and simple really does matter. I know, I said that before but I'll say it again. Cheap because it's nice not to have to be continually worrying about something dropping on the floor. Quick and simple because all I'm after really are record shots of locally scarce species/occurrences and I want to be as ready as possible for them when they present themselves.

Whilst writing this I've thought of a few other things which might be a bit more universally applicable, eg about scopes, cameras, tripods, bean bags, red dot finders etc. I'll put some more on later. Also see the digiscoping section on Birdforum and the Yahoo Digiscoping Birds group. One thing you get when looking at these is that there are almost as many digiscoping methods as there are people digiscoping, and that there are people getting excellent results with methods/equipment that other very good digiscopers think are impossible or useless.

http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=243

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/digiscopingbirds/

adapter4.jpg ( 166 KB | Downloads )
adapter4.jpg

IP Logged

DavidPennington

Reply #4 - 10/31/10 at 13:12:45
Post Tools
Footnote to this: if you want to be really minimalist you could always have a go with hand-holding, ie not bothering with an adapter at all. Some people seem to be able to make it work (David T for one?). I've had a couple of tries but found it usually takes longer than using my adapter and the results are a bit hit and miss. Only time it's really worked for me is once at Sands Lane with a Redshank when I'd temporarily lost my adapter in some long grass. The pics are in the gallery somewhere.

IP Logged

David Tattersley

Reply #5 - 10/31/10 at 16:15:59
Post Tools
Excellent piece of work Dave which you have put together here, one thing I might add to all of this if I may is that it is imperative to have a solid base to work upon, therefore your tripod is a vital piece of kit for decent results if you intend to digiscope.

One of the reasons I have virtually stopped digiscoping is that I have moved away from my original tripod (Velbon Delta) which was fine for digiscoping, but a bit on the heavy side for lumping around and not that great for panning smoothly through gulls for instance and following birds in flight.

I now use a Manfrotto tripod which is much lighter, smooth as silk for panning but not quite sturdy enough for vibration free digiscoping!

Very often I obtained my best digiscoping results by lowering the tripod to a usable height, in order to negate any excess movement  which will inevitably result in a shot that is not quite sharp enough.

Digiscoping and birding is not that easy and I think Dave's results are fantastic to be truthful, it requires a fair bit of patience as very often a perched bird flies off just as you are about to press the shutter button. and it can be extremely frustrating as you have no idea which direction the bird has flown, but having said that if you get a decent record shot of any subject, I think you can learn so much more about a particular species by then studying it at a later date in the comfort of your own home.

There is no right or wrong way as Dave has said, it isn't expensive to have a go as most birders have a tripod and scope anyway, you just require a bit of luck with your choice of digital camera and hope that it fits well with your eyepiece, I bought a Casio Exilim in 2005 for not much money and it still works fine, you just have to experiment and one day might be as good as the maestro himself but I wouldn't bet on that!

IP Logged

DavidPennington

Reply #6 - 10/31/10 at 17:21:26
Post Tools
Quote:
it is imperative to have a solid base to work upon

Totally agree with this David. I'll start a tripod thread.

IP Logged