HUDDERSFIELD BIRDWATCHERS' CLUB

Registered charity no.1098296
Welcome to the Huddersfield Birdwatchers' CubGo to our forum
Sticky Topic Recording Sensitive Bird Species (Read 7374 times)
HBC Administrator
Forum Administrator

Recording Sensitive Bird Species
05/31/09 at 16:49:52
Post Tools
Reporting and Recording Sensitive Bird Species

It is imperative for all club members and other birdwatchers to be fully committed to the understanding that the welfare of all birds is of paramount importance and must not be threatened or compromised by any of our activities. In particular this applies to all birds in the breeding season and especially to those birds whose populations are particularly vulnerable in Europe, the UK or just in the club area. The 1981 Wildlife and Countryside Act itemises a number of rare breeding birds (see abbreviated list below) which require a special licence for any individual who may approach them whilst nesting. These licences, which are issued in order to keep disturbance to a minimum, are only issued to bonafide researchers, i.e. ringers, official nest recorders, photographers (occasionally) etc. Anyone disturbing any Schedule 1 species who is not in possession of a licence is breaking the law and liable to prosecution, as well as putting the breeding attempt at risk. If you accidentally find a nest, however, you are not breaking the law, as this was done without any foreknowledge. If however you return to that nest and this results in any form of disturbance, then that would be breaking the law.

It should be obvious that the purpose of the law is to protect these individual species from disturbance, thereby allowing them to breed without molestation and providing the greatest chance of success. It is important, therefore, to avoid circulating any information relating to the whereabouts of such breeding birds. The HBWC committee therefore asks that no such information should be posted by anyone using the club forum; to do so may encourage unlicensed individuals to visit these nest sites, for whatever reason, and could seriously compromise the well-being of the birds and their eggs or offspring. The information could also be used by those intent on persecuting species, stealing eggs or young.

Should you suspect that a Schedule 1 species is breeding within the club area then do contact Mike Denton (01484 646990) who holds the necessary licence to monitor and document proceedings. As this licence allows for up to two assistants to be present on such visits you might have the opportunity to visit the site under Mike’s supervision depending upon circumstances.

Where you see any Schedule 1 birds, and even though there may be no evidence of breeding at that time, it is advisable not to advertise the locality of such sightings on the forum, or even verbally to others. It is possible that the bird(s) may be prospecting in the area for potential breeding sites and such reports may compromise their opportunity for success. By not advertising the whereabouts of these species or their nests you can be content in the knowledge that you are positively contributing to their protection by not inviting disturbance by others.

Please do remember, however, to submit all of your detailed records to the club recorder for inclusion in the annual report, although the detail included in the report will be appropriately circumspect. Such information is vital for use by relevant bodies (eg the rare birds breeding panel, conservation bodies etc) your records are a key component of maintaining an accurate picture of population dynamics which aids plans to conserve and protect them.

In addition to the above, if you are aware of the presence of any Schedule 1 birds in an area and you suspect that illegal interference may have taken place, or be about to take place, then contact Mike Denton or the recorder urgently. We have the contact details of the appropriate authorities that would allow us to alert them to these threats.

These comments, whilst directed primarily at Schedule 1 species, are pertinent for any nesting species and if you are uncertain about their status it is advisable to seek clarification from either Mike Denton or the club recorder. There are also a number of species (see additional list) that may not be threatened within UK but that are scarce breeding, or potential breeding birds within the club area. It is by leaving these birds undisturbed during a critical time in their life cycle that you can feel gratified that you have had no detrimental effect upon the outcome.

Abbreviated list of Schedule 1 Species

Black-necked Grebe
Bittern
Pintail
Garganey
Honey-buzzard
Red Kite
All harriers
Goshawk
Osprey
Merlin
Peregrine Falcon
Avocet
Stone-curlew
Little Ringed Plover
Dotterel
Red-necked Phalarope
Little Tern
Barn Owl
Kingfisher
Firecrest

Additional List of Sensitive Birds in HBWC Area

Nightjar
Buzzard
Raven
Short-eared Owl
Long-eared Owl

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Mick Cunningham

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Recording Sensitive Bird Species
Reply #1 - 03/12/12 at 18:59:38
Post Tools
I have just been advised that a HBW member met someone he did not know who told him s/he had met some birders watching in the HBW area who said they'd been watching a Goshawk. Perhaps these were not HBW members. As it happens, I know the site and doubt it was a goshawk as sparrowhawks are displaying there quite vigorously at the moment and the viewing position makes judgement of size very difficult. Maybe I am wrong. But, the point is, such info should not be passed to people we don't know. If it was one, the point is even more pertinent.

I too was at a site recently where I met a HBW birder. S/he too reported a Goshawk. When passing members of the public asked what had been seen, this member reeled off a list of raptors, including Goshawk. (I didn't see one). I did not comment, as the member had brought along someone I did not know to see the raptors and I did not want to embarrass a member. All I can say is, I was amazed that info about a sch1 species possibly on territory was shared so freely. I think this is irresponsible. If the member concerned disagrees and wishes to PM me re this I am happy to discuss in private (don't have any contact details). I have no intention of publishing the name on the forum.

I am in touch with people who monitor and ring raptors in HBW. These people, who spend all their birding finding and monitoring breeding raptors, tell me they do not see Goshawk at most (any, these days?) of the sites where it is claimed. Even where they found them historically. And that many raptors fail to breed owing to suspicious reasons.

This is not about suppression. If people are desperate to see Gos, there are publicized places in Yorks and Derbyshire where this is easy (Wykham for example). If folk see one in the HBW area then I am glad for them, but I would pls ask that people are careful about who they tell. If the only viewing position is one where the public will ask, you are not obliged to tell them everything! Alternatively, it might help not to stand where you can be seen.

I know other clubs which overlap ours sometimes publish where rare raptors are in the breeding season. I don't think that means we should follow though.

Anyone who takes the time to read about raptors in the UK will know how much pressure they are under in the types of habitat that HBW has. I don't think birders should be, potentially, adding to this.

Regards

Mick

IP Logged

Mick Cunningham

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Recording Sensitive Bird Species
Reply #2 - 05/06/13 at 19:14:17
Post Tools
a gentle reminder now the breeding season is on us. Please could people be careful what info they share on this site and also in person. Some of our scarcer and more targeted species will, hopefully, be trying to breed again. Traditionally, the site has carried complaints about game interests - fair enough, and no doubt they read this site. But, in addition, there is now the ever-increasing pressure from photographers - many of whom don't know about birds or breeding habits and some who want the picture above all else. Then there's over-enthusiatic birders or those who can't keep quiet - like the HBW member telling folk at the dotterel twitch where to see sensitive local species (same person who blythely announced to anyone who was passing one site one year that s/he was looking for Goshawks - as it happens, there weren't any at that site or any other in HBW to my knowledge but the point remains).

Many raptors are passing thru at moment and, to be fair, if they are seen to pass straight through I doubt there's harm in posting eg Hobby, Osprey. Others might nest so caution required. Pls read the list above and put the birds first.

thanks

mick

IP Logged