HUDDERSFIELD BIRDWATCHERS' CLUB

Registered charity no.1098296
Welcome to the Huddersfield Birdwatchers' CubGo to our forum
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) What have you seen today? (Read 10179 times)
Grant(Guest)

What have you seen today?
11/25/06 at 10:53:53
Post Tools
Smiley Walk home from work today took me along Beldon Brook where I saw Dipper, Fieldfares and Redwings. Up through Lepton Great Wood gave me Jays,Crows, Jackdaws with Blue and Great Tits. Coming out of the wood at the top of Rowley Lane here I saw Long Tailed Tits, and a Charm of Goldfinchs, Dunnock and Wrens. Final leg home took me down one of my favourite routes Thurgory Lane. I saw down here a group of Common Partridge about 12 in all along with a good size winter flock of Skylarks, must have been 40+, and a small flock of Yellowhammers with Chaffinch. A male Kestrel flew overhead and Mistle Thrush in the side fields and Blackbirds in the hedgerows. Final leg took me down Cuckoo hill where Woodpigeon and Stock Dove were added to the srtoll home. Nice walk about 3 hours in all and did the legs know Grin glb

IP Logged

daveh

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: What have you seen today?
Reply #1 - 11/25/06 at 16:41:17
Post Tools
That compares handsomely with my own meagre 'haul' today at Broadstones Res - but it was only half an hour: c60 Lapwing, 2 Yellowhammers, 14 Starling, 1 Teal, 17 Mallard, 11 Common Gull, 1 Herring Gull, 24 B h Gull, a male Kestrel and finally a female Sparrowhawk in pursuit of some finchy thing.  The white Goose is still there looking lonely.
DaveH

IP Logged

ShelleyNaturalist(Guest)

Reply #2 - 12/01/06 at 13:25:21
Post Tools
Good result with the Dipper and Grey Partridge in Lepton. I lived in Lepton in the mid 1980's and Lepton Great Wood was my local patch. All 3 Woodpeckers were present then and Dipper occasionally wintered. LSW I guess is very scarce now but at least Nuthatch have colonised in recent years. Grey Partridge are very thin on the ground, locally now, and I am sure the recorder will be interested in your sightings.

IP Logged

Grant(Guest)

Reply #3 - 12/01/06 at 22:54:45
Post Tools
Ya I have seen Grey Partridge a few times on Thurgory Lane along with Red Legged. I didn't see any Woodpeckers last week but I have seen Great and Green in the area (I work at  Reliance Gears) but never Lesser. Dipper I have seen breeding on Beldon Brook a few times under the road bridge. I walked again through Lepton today 01.12.06 I thought it was a bit quiet today> Thurgory Lane was once again the hot spot. No Partridge today thou but the Skylark flock remian in the area between 40 and 50 strong. I also saw a good flock of Redwing in the area a sizeable flock of about 60 birds, but I only saw one Fieldfare. Nuthatch at Jumble Wood but again no Woodpeckers.

IP Logged

ShelleyNaturalist
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 12/03/06 at 16:01:50
Post Tools
As you work at Reliance gears do you ever visit Dogley Nature Reserve, the old sewage works at Dogley, just further along Penistone Road? This has a good woodland/water bird selection and is also good for Butterflies and Dragonflies in the summer months.

Good to see the Skylark flock is hanging around, there were several at Shepley yesterday too. Although these have usually left for lower ground by now. However, with the exceptional temperatures recently they may linger for a ltttle while yet. Do you see any flocks of Linnet in Lepton during the winter months too?

The fields going upto Highburton near Lepton Great Wood usually produce Tree Sparrow, are you seeing any of these in the area too?

IP Logged

Grant(Guest)

Reply #5 - 12/06/06 at 14:00:01
Post Tools
SmileyHi. I am unsure were the sewage works is at dogley, living in Kirkheaton I don't know this area that well, i'll ask around at work and as you say a visit maybe on the cards for a Friday afternoon.
Linnet flocks I don't see much of around the Lepton area and don't recall seeing any this year. I do see a few in the Kirkheaton area especially around the Hopton Waters area.
I'm not seeing any Tree Sparrows around the Lepton Woods but I do see these in the Thurgory Lane area especially in the breeding season, none a late.
i'll keep you posted about the Sewage works, thanks  Smiley

IP Logged

daveh

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 12/11/06 at 14:15:55
Post Tools
11th Dec Ingbirchworth Res am. Canada Goose numbers up to c 300, 5 Wigeon, c180 B h Gull, 16 Mallard, 9 Tufted and a male Goldeneye.

IP Logged

glb
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 12/22/06 at 19:47:31
Post Tools
A trip to Ingbirchworth Res. today produced Bramblings along with Chaffinch, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Long Tailed Tit, Coal Tit with Robins. On the water a good number of Black Headed Gulls and a few Common Gulls . Ducks seen were Tufted, Mallard and a pair of Goldeneye. One Great Crested Grebe and that was it on the water. Grey Wagtail and Blackbird at the outflow end of the Res. That was it today a quick 45 mins at Ingbirchworth . No Fieldfare or Redwing seen or heard Grin

IP Logged

glb
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 01/05/07 at 18:11:17
Post Tools
Trip out today to Blackmoorfoot Res. Bteween the hours of 1:00 and 2:00pm In the area today were plenty of Black Headed and Common Gulls along with one male Goldeneye, and Mallards on the water. In the trees Great and Blue Tits with Robin, Blackbirds and Chaffinch. In the fields the usual Crows and Jackdaws and a good couple of hundred Lapwings. Good sized flocks of Fieldfares and Redwings. Good to start seeing Fieldfares in numbers rather than ones and twos.  Get out and Birdwatch Smiley

IP Logged

glb
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 01/12/07 at 18:00:49
Post Tools
The Friday afternoon walk home, thru Lepton and Kirkheaton. Around the back of were I work to find Fieldfare and Redwing about 20 birds and a few Jays. Walked up to Jumble Wood to try and find the Nuthatch again. Whilst waiting a saw Blue,Great and Long Tailed Tits with a Goldcrest in the same flock. Then a nice surprise was a male Blackcap and then finally the Nuthatch a but to briefly. Made my way onto Thurgory Lane again seeing Fieldfare and Redwings all the way, with a gale force wind blowing all the time it was quiet on here today except for more Fieldfare and Redwing. Finally into Kirheaton to get Coal Tit at the cemetry.  Smiley

IP Logged

glb
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 01/26/07 at 18:21:52
Post Tools
A trip to Ingbirchworth/Broadstones Res. today produced Bramblings along with Chaffinch, Great Tit, Blue Tit, and Robins. On the water a good number of Black Headed Gulls and a few Common Gulls with one or two Lessers. Ducks seen were, Mallards and 21 Wigeon on Broadstones Res, 9 males. One Little Grebe and that was it on the water.
In the fields Fieldfares, Mistle Thrush and Starlings. Large flocks of Lapwing and Golden Plovers about. 26.01.07   Smiley

IP Logged

Alf

Are you sure?

Reply #11 - 02/04/07 at 16:59:20
Post Tools
Quote:
As you work at Reliance gears do you ever visit Dogley Nature Reserve, the old sewage works at Dogley, just further along Penistone Road? This has a good woodland/water bird selection and is also good for Butterflies and Dragonflies in the summer months.

Where exactly is this NR and how do you gain access to it?

I've strained my eyes whilst driving along Penistone Rd but can's see where it might be.

Alf
Forum Administrator

Grip, don't dip.

IP Logged

ShelleyNaturalist
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 02/05/07 at 07:08:37
Post Tools
Alf

Thanks for your query, Dogley Nature Reserve is the former sewage works at Dogley just off Penistone Road, near Kirkburton/Highburton. It was taken over by Kirklees Council in the late 1980's and a meadow area, pond (sadly now leaking and defunct) and much shrub and tree planting occured. Very few people seem to know were it is hence fortunately the site has not suffered vandalism/abuse as many other areas do these days. The main feature of the site are the large flagpole Larches which can be seen easily from Penistone Road once you know were the site is!

Directions: If visiting by car it is best to park on the road leading upto Highburton, Far Dene? I believe and then cross Penistone Road at the new pelican crossing/traffic lights just before reaching Kirkburton coming from Huddersfield. Having crossed the road walk right a few yards and you will see a large metal gate and a smaller pedestrian gate to the right of it. Go through here and down the track to the former sewage works area. It is all public access and apart from a few dog walkers is rarely visited. I visited a few days ago and most of the paths are in good order, a tree has come down in the recent gales across one of the paths but can be safely negotiated. The site is now managed by Kirklees Council and BEG - the new Burton Environment Group.

Wildlife: There is a good range of resident birds and the site is in a nice sheltered, river valley providing opportunities for many passage species too. Kingfishers are resident on the beck and have bred nearby, Grey Wagtail can occur in both summer and winter, Bullfinches are usually in good numbers along with Song Thrush. The site is excellent for Warblers and both Whitethroat and Lesser Whitethroat have bred in the last 10 years along with Garden,Blackcap, Willow and Chiffchaff. Spotted Flycatcher was a regular breeder but is now extinct here as with so many other sites, although the habitat is still excellent for passage birds. There is usually a good range of finches here and Great-spotted and Green Woodpeckers occur on the site and the adjacent farmland/woodland nearby. Nuthatches have bred at the site in recent years too. Other species to look out for are Willow Tit, Siskin, Redpoll, Treecreeper, Kestrel, Sparrowhark and possibly Buzzard looking to the ridge near Woodsome Golf Course.

Other wildlife includes a good range of insects particularly butterflies. I recorded White-letter hairstreak here for the first time in 2005. Several species of dragonflies can also be seen in the summer months.

Overall this would make an ideal local patch for somebody. I would be grateful if you could post your sightings here if you do start visiting the site on a regular basis. Spring and Autumn probably have the greatest range of birds but Winter can be productive too.

Please let us know how you get on at the site.

IP Logged

Alf

Are you sure?

Reply #13 - 02/05/07 at 16:07:56
Post Tools
Thanks for that info SN.

I'll let you know if I see something of interest.

Alf
Forum Administrator

Grip, don't dip.

IP Logged

glb
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 02/17/07 at 22:15:00
Post Tools
Thurgory Lane this morning (17.02.07) for about 1 1/2 hours, resulted Skylarks about 5 singing birds along with about 7 yellowhammers. Dunnocks a plenty stopped counting after 10, sorry i'm not one for counting birds. Robins, Blue Tits, Chaffinch and Long Tailed Tits. Rather quite along Thurgory this morning fields have been ploughed over and there is a couple of stubble fields so hopefully might catch something in the coming month maybe Wheatear again pasing thru??   Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools